Saturday, May 8, 2010

May 3 - May 7

During this past week Cara has spent 3 out of the 5 days at her Nana's house. There was much outdoor play to be had, but very little school work.

Below is a little insight into what Cara has been learning:

Reading ~ I believe that Cara is doing okay with reading, but it is something that she "has" to do - not something that she "wants" to do. She would much rather cozy up beside me on the couch and listen to a story being read aloud to her. A couple of the books that we are reading through are:

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

So far we have been reading a chapter at a time and discussing it. We review what happened each time we start reading again. Cara listens very attentively and requests for me to read to her another chapter! I haven't decided if I am going to do activities alongside this book or just enjoy it with my girls.






Horse and Ponies ~ Sandy Ransford

Cara and her younger sister are very excited about horses lately. I am looking into riding lessons for the summer. In the meantime, we're learning about horses. There is an incredible amount of vocabulary that is just horse related words. Cara is completing a horse lapbook which will be included in her portfolio samples.

Writing ~ This week Cara had to make a birthday card for both her cousin and her daddy. She worked quite diligently on both cards and included both a birthday message (copywork), a "to" and "From" message (independently), birthday age (10 and 34 -independently) and a detailed pictured.

Math ~ We finished our Math this week! The last unit we completed was on measurement (weight). Cara is going to complete the "Review" pages in Singapore Math Book A and then for the remainder of the school year she will do Math games (practicing addition and subtraction up to 20), more pattern block activites, and some 100s chart activities.

For grade 1, I am only having her complete Book A in the Singapore Math because it fully meets the learning outcomes for BC plos. I am going to complete Book B during the first half of her grade 2 year. I want to make sure that she is solid in her math facts to 20 before making her add to 40 and 100 like the Book B is accomplishing.

As for money, we are covering this through real life learning. We have a jar in which we are saving money for a "horse". :) Cara has been sorting money, identifying the coins to a twoonie, wrapping coins, and adding the amount of the wrapped coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment